Wednesday, January 13, 2016

January 11-RFMC

Tonight was the first official meeting for The Ride for Missing Children. This will be my 8th year involved in The Ride and this one is a special ride because it will mark the 20th anniversary. I rode my first year, got hurt and couldn't ride so became a volunteer the second year and have stayed a volunteer ever since. I'm sure it will come as no surprise that I started out as a volunteer photographer. The next step was joining the family committee and concentrating my photography on family members and events. I've loved it. Last year after The Ride my son was a rider in the Ride of Hope to Washington DC and my husband was his team's sag driver. That event touched my husband and he came home determined to do The Ride this year and wants me to ride with him. So..... that's what I'll be doing this year. I'll still be doing photography, just not on the day of the ride.




I took a few pictures at the meeting. This one is special. Twenty years ago when seven men rode their bikes to Washington DC for the first time they were met by a local teacher and some of his students. They sang a song when the riders got there. Tonight that teacher happened to stop by to say hello to Dick Jordan, one of those seven original riders. It was a touching moment.

You can learn more about The Ride here.
If you'd like to make a contribution you can do that here. My son, husband and I have a commitment to raise $1500 to help print posters and provide safety education to children.

No comments:

Post a Comment