Sunday, June 21, 2009

June 21 My Dad


June 21 My Dad, originally uploaded by ElementaryTechTeacher.

I lost my dad to cancer about 2 ½ years ago. I miss him, especially so on Father’s Day. My dad was a good man. He taught me many things, mostly through just being a great role model.

Work Ethic-Early on in my life he instilled a good work ethic. He didn’t want me leaving for work with just enough time to walk in the door “on time.” I needed to be there early and make sure I was ready to start work on time and it didn’t matter if no one else did that.

Honesty-My parents always modeled being honest. If someone didn’t charge us enough for something my parents always let the person know and paid the full price. When I was in junior high my dad bought a franchise business. A few years later he went bankrupt. Some people said he lost it because he was too honest.

Involvement-My dad was involved in PTA, civic groups and home owners associations. He usually ended up being president of these groups because of his willingness to commit the time, his calm demeanor and easy speaking manor.

Acceptance-Life was not always easy but he accepted the difficult times with out complaint or blame.

Kindness-I don’t ever remember seeing my dad treat anyone with anything except kindness and respect.

Love-My parents were married for almost 60 years. I’m sure they had their ups and downs but they never showed it.

Forgiveness-I know I did things in my life that disappointed my dad. But he was able to let those things go and love me anyway.

I love you Dad. Thanks for helping me become the person I am today.

1 comment:

  1. This post brought tears too my eyes as I read it. I lost my dad to cancer 6 yrs ago and still feel a deep loss that he is no longer available to be my trouble-shooter. Your comments are echoed in my heart regarding my own dad.

    Annette

    ReplyDelete