Saturday, November 7, 2009

November 7 Dunham Library


November 7 Dunham Library, originally uploaded by NedraI.

Recently I saw an editorial question asking if schools still needed brick and mortar libraries. I haven't taken the time to read the responses but my answer would be yes! At least at the elementary level. I always hate to see funding cut for our local libraries. They provide such an important service in our neighborhoods. Our area is blessed with wonderful community libraries like this one. I started using this library when we moved to the area in 1984. As soon as my kids could write their names they came to this library to sign up for their own library card. I brought them as babies and sat read board books to them and showed them the stuffed animals. We checked out not only books, but movies, music, books on tapes and magazines. As a teacher every time I did a theme I came here and checked out books by the bagful to take back to the classroom to add to the collection of books I already owned. I love technology but when it comes to children and books I hope devices like the Kindle never replace children's books. I just don't think having a future grandchild climb into my lap to hear a favorite story on a Kindle would be near as special as holding a real picture book.

No comments:

Post a Comment