Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hat Pin


Hat Pin, originally uploaded by ElementaryTechTeacher.

Over the years I have become a collector of a variety of things. During my youth I collected Smiley Face things, Holly Hobbie Figureines (I'm still waiting for them to become collector items!), and cartoon soft drink glasses. As an adult I have gathered cookie cutter, copper ware, Fiesta Ware, snowmen and hat pins. I live in a small house and really don't have much room for displaying big collections so I am making an effort to stop the collecting bug. However, one of my favorite things to collect right now are hat pins. Years ago my mom gave me a beautiful old hat pin holder and a few basic white/black pins. As I wander through antique shows/stores I'm on the look out for these tiny items. Sometimes I'm amazed at how expensive they can be. I go for pretty but cheap ones. I'm finding that as I try to photograph them I'm noticing the colors and details more than I did in the past. It's also making me want to learn more about them. I'm sure behind every hat pin there is an interesting story to be told.

No comments:

Post a Comment