Monday, January 19, 2009

The Rink


The Rink, originally uploaded by ElementaryTechTeacher.

We've had an ice rink in our back yard for about 16 years. The first one was about an 8' square when our son was 4. It grew little by little to its present size, 40'x70'. It's a lot of work to get it set up and then maintain it through the winter but it provided hours of hockey fun for the kids year after year. My husband never minded the work and as the kids got older they helped him out. The living room was the dressing room. The picnic table would be cleared off so there was a place to sit and put on skates and to hold the snacks and hot chocolate for the hungry skaters. Unfortunately the past few winters have been too warm to set it up. This year we've had the cold but constant snow prevented ice once again. However, our son is still finding a way to use it. He used the snow blower on half of it and that left an icy surface good enough to at least go out and take shots. During rest of the year it doubles as a basketball/tennis court.

5 comments:

  1. That is very cool. I've never lived in a place where things stay frozen. The idea of an outdoor rink just amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised too. I think it would be awesome to be able to really ice skate. We just kind of skid around on the pond while wearing our regular boots. And hope that the ice doesn't break that would be terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great thing to give your kids to keep them active during winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last year we had it I think I used it as much as they did. Although instead of playing hockey I just skated in circles as fast as I could for some exercise. Some of my favorite memories are the nights we went out as a family and played hockey together. I'm terrible at it but it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a far Southerner (Adelaide, South Australia)I'm in awe of the beauty of the white show and ice. Even though I expect that it would be absolutely freezing, I get caught up in the romance of sitting around an open fire with hot chocolate etc etc. Ah the serenity!

    ReplyDelete